Sunday, January 6, 2008

Brief Thought on Legends of The Fall


I am a late comer to this particular film, as it was released within my lifetime, a rather large success, and nominated for several actors. This being so I don't feel the need to discuss the merits of this film; the acting is great, the story is huge and exciting as it is upsetting. However, the thing that impacted me the most watching a thinking about the film was a single, small scene and the versatility of the story.
Of the two, I'll begin with the story. I think everyone who watches this film, based on their age, sex, and/or upbringing, will see a different story and find a different ending; this is due to a combination of the casting as well as the direction. I personally saw a movie about a tough, rugged man who lived by being able to control everything around him by being the toughest, but was ultimately brought down by the truth that one man cannot control everything. That's right, I'm a guy and I focused on the story about Brad Pitt, trust me, that's not an easy thing for me to admit. However, at the same time, there is an abandoned woman stuck somewhere between a Juliet-esk lost love and a sexual mistress, a brother who cannot fit in either in the wilderness or in town but could find success in either but without love, an Indian chief who must make his tribe, and the list goes on; even without the separate story lines the focus of the film differs from person to person based also on who they think is the most interesting actor, Anthony Hopkins, Brad Pitt, Aidin Quinn, etc.
As far as the scene that stuck with me after the film, there is a part where a policeman shoots Tristan's wife. Following a brawl with the cops, Tristan walks to his wife and carries her away. Watching this moment I thought immediately about how hard it would be to let my girlfriend go in a similar situation. This scene stated alot about love, and I think it was only heightened when, in the commentary, the Director and Brad Pitt, who played Tristan, asked each other where Tristan was walking to. It might be better that there is no particular destination, but, like the story, the destination is probably invented anew by every viewer based on who they are. I really wanted to find a picture of this scene, which I thought would be impossible, until I realized it is both on the movie jacket as well as in the official movie poster.

No comments: