Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Casting that Wasn't

Every so often, Hollywood lets me down in a surprising new way. It happens so rarely these days because I've come to expect too much (or too little depending on how you approach the situation). Today I found a new way to feel crappy about myself.
I got cast in a new spoof game show pilot for Cartoon Network. I was to work one day as a fake contestant for which they would pay me handsomely, though I would never see the money because I am in debt to AFTRA. Possibly the worst part is that I wasn't actually too excited about the casting at first; I didn't know what to expect and I got the order to bring extra underwear. My head filled with horribly degrading tasks and jokes all in the name of comedy to which I would have to later explain that it was all a set-up and I was in on it not the butt of it. Anyway, I did succeed in getting myself excited for the show, I loosely titled it acting and repeated the phrase enough that it felt plausible, I dreamed of saying or doing something so funny that Cartoon Network would have to call a special meeting with me to discuss projects, I changed my sleeping habits in order to meagerly sustain myself for the 48 hours I would be awake on a schedule that rotated work, shoot, work.
I arrived on set at 7:45, At this point I've been awake almost twenty hours. I sat around as we awaited the coming of the third contestant. I got dressed in wardrobe. I talked up how good I would be at this still unspecified game. Two hours later, still waiting for the last contestant to arrive, I ask if we are still going to be able to wrap by 8-8:30 (over twelve hours after the original call).
At this junction I need to clarify how scheduling works typically. Especially if a job is union, an actor is given an eight hour window, then expects to languish around another three or four hours before finally wrapping at around twelve hours. I had made it known to the people who needed to know that I still had to work that night, as I in essence was working for free and suspected that since they had blocked off a twelve hour schedule, they were being extra cautious (though even I didn't think a production company was truly able to act in such a way)
My question about the wrap time was greeted as if I was a jackrabbit posing as the Easter bunny. Of course we wouldn't be wrapped by 8 or even 8:30. In fact as the production guy sat there he said he now was reading the schedule and it was said to wrap at 9 and he had misread it until this point. Furthermore, this would be a long day, and could go on until 10 or 11.
There was a time where I had to explain I worked at a understaffed hospital and patients needed to be seen and I could not call them and cancel, a point when my name tag was taken, and then the arrival of the final contestant.
I was released around 11:30, and figured I'd have my agent call to discuss rates.
The worst part about this story is I honestly don't feel it was my fault, but I honestly feel that I am considered completely in the wrong and that this will somehow haunt me in future castings. I will be the guy who is now A Sleep Technician First and an Actor Second. And I did this all to myself. I twisted my schedule, I let myself believe that a shoot list would be adhered to, I gave them the ability to call fake contestant work acting and then the right to call me an uncommitted actor. I did it all to myself, but I've done this before and I seem to have made this manner my way of dealing with Hollywood. Now, I'm really left wondering that by committing to be an actor what exactly have I committed to and what silent code of conduct prescribes when I don't feel horrible about 90% of my work.
I'm sick of this club where the only true members seem to be the ones who drop everything in their life to do even the smallest part in the widest stretch of the title acting and everyone else is a flake, uncommitted, or unprofessional. I feel like a Clifford Odets character.

No comments: