Sunday, November 18, 2007

No Country for Old Men

Last night I made the choice to see "No Country for Old Men. My assessment of the film was a classic Cormac McCarthy, long breaks and character driven; a slice of life film. The acting was amazing, especially Javier Bardem. He was the reason I wanted to see the film in the first place, based on his performance in The Sea Inside. in addition to the acting, the text was so good; each word was so specific; While there was nothing put into the script solely for humor, the 'real-ness' several times got a laugh. There were also points where there was so much tention, but barely anything was said. This is the type of script actors live for.
My girlfriend felt the film was a bit too violent, especially at first; it was not overly gory. My impression of the movie was tainted by two things. First, I was in the mood to feel connected to the characters, and, while I don't like the term 'heart-warming', I wanted to empathize with characters. Second, on the way in, the production company was handing out surveys due to the limited release of the film. I have to admit, whether I like a film or not, I want the original cut/idea, not the studio adjusted version that appeals to a broader audience. Overall, I like this film. It's worth listening to, if not seeing; though some people might find it slow at points ".

No comments: