Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Nutcracker (pre-premier rehearsal)


This afternoon I received the script for my first paid theatrical performance, The Nutcracker. This script is a boring read, but reads to be so interesting in performance. There is extensive audience participation, which in itself is slightly daunting, and in addition the audience is children, mainly school groups. As I read and reread the script, I just see places where I will get hit with a sword in the shin or I will have to lead the volunteer to the right answer. That said, I am excited about the project. Basically, I need to calm down and not count on anything until it happens; if I worry about possible problem, I will overcompensate and trust the director less. The script says it is the forth edition, finished in 2003, so I think the director and the current actors have a pretty good handle on what to expect and will be able to direct me in the appropriate direction. I feel like so much of my experience in LA has been a flop or let-down that I refuse to let myself get excited until something is happening. I excited that I am twelve hours away from this getting started.
Also, side note, the first Nutcracker picture makes me think of Norwegian Winter nights filled with warmth and stories passed down from generation to generation.



This second Nutcracker picture represents where I am, everything is outlined, I just need to add color. I also play four of the parts represented in the picture. There is a second version of this picture that is all colored/filled in, I don't believe I will be adding that in the final post. I wanted to state that so I didn't feel I was working towards some slightly interesting end.

No comments: